UKAEA Pensions

Skip Navigation

Home Page

Nomination for death benefits

Benefits for your dependants will be important to you. If you die whilst you are still employed and a contributing member of a UK Atomic Energy Authority pension scheme then, regardless of the length of your service, a lump sum of twice your final earnings may be paid to whomever you nominate to receive it. If having left the Scheme you die before normal retirement age, then a lump sum payment equal to the value of your preserved lump sum may be payable to the person you have nominated to receive it.

You may nominate more than one person if you wish to do so, but the total proportions must equal one hundred percent.

You will need to complete the Nomination for Death Benefit form and send it to the Pension administrators to indicate who you wish to receive the payment. To avoid any confusion you should make sure that you keep the details of the person you wish to receive the payment up to date so that the payment can if necessary be made promptly.

If your marital status changes a fresh Nomination Form will be required after marriage or divorce, even if the nominee remains the same.

A court may, at the time of a divorce, order that on the death of a scheme member, or a former member, all or part of the death benefit be paid to the former spouse. Where this is the case, any balance may be paid to the nominee.

If you are not married to the nominee, but are living together, your nomination will remain valid if your relationship with the nominee comes to an end. You should review the nomination to make sure that it contains your wishes for the disposal of the lump sum payment.

If you have not made a valid nomination, the Scheme may pay the death benefit lump sum to your legal personal representatives.